Injured in an Auto Accident? Call Triumph Law, P.C. for Compensation
If you were seriously injured in a car crash as a result of someone else’s negligence, one of the most important things you can do is seek out legal representation right away. At Triumph Law, P.C., our Sacramento car accident lawyers understand what it takes to secure maximum compensation and are committed to working with you to ensure you walk out of the courtroom or away from the negotiation table with the best result possible.
On this Page:
What Kinds of Damages Can I Recover after a California Car Accident?
In car accident claims there are generally two categories of recoverable damages, economic and non-economic. The cost to repair or replace your vehicle, lost wages, and medical expenses are considered economic damages. Economic damages can be calculated and therefore much easier to recover.
Pain, disability, disfigurement, and emotional distress are classified as non-economic damages. It’s not easy to calculate the value of someone’s pain or well-being, which is why non-economic damages are so hard to obtain.
In general, victims of car accidents can recover compensation for:
- Car rental expenses
- Lost wages
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
To achieve monetary compensation that fully covers your accident, you need a skilled trial attorney who can utilize evidence and expert testimony to prove your case. Sacramento car accident Attorney Robert Carichoff has recovered millions of dollars for clients throughout his 20+ years of experience. Call (916) 500-0000 to get started.
Statute of Limitations for Auto Accident Claims in California
California has a strict two-year statute of limitations for filing a legal case for personal injury and three years for property damage. It’s important to contact our firm as soon as you can to give us more time to gather evidence and prepare your case and avoiding missing the deadline for filing your claim.
What Kind of Settlement Should You Expect After a Car Accident?
Understanding each factor calculated into a settlement can be difficult and calculating the total amount of your losses can be challenging. Trusting an experienced attorney with your case can help you understand the kind of information that can aid in the recovery of your losses. If another drivers negligence led to your accident and you had to file an insurance claim as a result, the amount of your settlement may depend on many factors including:
- The severity of your injuries
- Cost of current and future medical bills
- Loss of income now and in the future
- Pain and suffering you’ve sustained
Am I Responsible For My Medical Bills After A Car Accident?
If you suffered a serious injury in a car crash, the first thing you need to do is seek medical treatment for any injuries you may have sustained in the accident. This will both ensure that you receive the treatment you need, as well as create the documentation you need to prove your injuries in your lawsuit.
However, the cost of this treatment will likely be on your mind. Hospitals can be incredibly expensive and while it may not be an immediate thought, it will come into play soon. Unfortunately, you will be responsible for your medical bills until your case is over. Your insurance provider should cover a significant portion of the financial burden, but it is unlikely that they will cover it all.
One of the most important things you need to do while receiving medical treatment is document every procedure you undergo so you can include them in your lawsuit and ensure that you secure compensation.
Some things to keep track of include:
- Transportation to and from the hospital
- Ambulance rides
- Physical therapy
- Hospital stays
- Over the counter medication
- Prescription medication
- Visits to the emergency room
Can I Recover Compensation If I Share Fault for the Accident?
Comparative fault laws in California allow victims injured in car accidents to still recover damages even if they are partially to blame for the accident. Sometimes called comparative negligence, this system reduces the amount of compensation the accident victim can recover by the percentage of fault they share for the accident.
It is essential that the defendant and their insurance company prove that:
- The victim of the accident was acting negligently;
- The victim’s negligence was a substantial factor in causing the accident that harmed them.
If you were involved in a car crash and you believe you share some of the blame, or the other driver isn’t claiming responsibility, we encourage you to contact our Sacramento car accident attorney at Triumph Law, P.C. immediately so that we counsel you on what to do next.
Important Steps to Take After a Car Crash
Accidents happen in the blink of an eye and often leave those involved feeling overwhelmed, shocked, and concerned about what they should expect in the aftermath. In order to avoid greater frustrations later on, it is important to keep a clear head and carry out the proper steps immediately after an accident.
- Call the police, even if no one appears to be severely injured. Having a police report for your claim is vital, so never forego this step; doing so could jeopardize your ability to recover compensation.
- Do what you can to preserve the scene of the accident. If it is not possible to safely move your vehicle from the scene, set up some flares or keep your hazard lights on. Protecting the scene of the collision is crucial and will better allow law enforcement officers to document the details of the collision.
- Be as accurate as possible in describing what happened. This can be difficult, especially if you are still in shock, so do the best you can and avoid guessing or speculating. If an officer asks you a question you don’t know the answer to, be honest. Remember, the insurance companies will get a copy of this report, and the last thing you want is for inaccurate or inconsistent statements to affect your case.
- Take as many pictures as you can. The pictures you take after an accident will provide the kind of solid evidence that words cannot. Fortunately, most of us have phones equipped with cameras, so this should be relatively easy to do. Take pictures of the damage done to all vehicles involved, any visible injuries, damage to the area where the accident occurred, and the overall scene.
- Exchange information with everyone else involved in the collision, including insurance information, driver’s licenses, and vehicle license plates. The law enforcement officer who files your police report should collect this information as well, but never assume you can rely on others to obtain the information you need. If there were any witnesses at the scene, collect their contact information as well.
- Seek immediate medical attention as soon as possible. Plenty of injuries do not present symptoms right away, or even within the first few days. Protect your health and your claim by ensuring you get a full medical examination to ensure hidden health concerns are not brewing as a result of the accident. Just because you were not whisked away in an ambulance does not mean you were not injured.
California Car Accident Statistics – 2019
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recently published their 2019 car crash stats for the state of California, which showed the following data:
- California had over 3,600 traffic fatalities in 2019
- 949 of these fatalities were in some way related to alcohol-impaired driving
- Over 1,000 fatalities were linked to speed-related accidents
- 96% of those involved in fatal accidents were wearing their seatbelts at the time of the crash
Thank You For Being My Advocate
“Thank you for taking my case, being there for me, and seeing the case from beginning to end, in other words, you provided me closure. That is priceless.”Jimmy L.
Outstanding Attorney with Exceptional Attention to Detail!
“Robert Carichoff represented me in a tough case. His professionalism and confidence always put me at ease during stressful times. heir professionalism, follow-up, and attention to detail is the model of how attorneys should treat their clients!”Jim
Service with integrity.
“The staff was incredibly friendly and professional. Davina Maldonado was a freaking rockstar!!! The careful attention the firm put into my case was exceptional. I can’t say enough about how painless they all made the process.”Brandon
Let’s Start Your Car Accident Claim TodayTriumph Law, P.C., A Law Firm Dedicated To Your Triumph
Our Roseville car accident attorneys are ready to help you understand your rights after being hit by a negligent driver. There could be ample compensation waiting for you. It is just a matter of filing an effective claim for it, which is where we can step in and take over.