Every year, thousands of people are involved in car accidents. Most of the time, those involved face minor injuries and moderate damages. No matter the degree of your accident or injuries sustained, you may be entitled to compensation due to another driver’s negligence on the road.
Car accidents in California can vary, and certain factors are looked at when pursuing compensation. By seeking the help of a skilled Stockton personal injury lawyer, you can ensure your rights are protected. Contact a California personal injury lawyer today.
Common Causes Of Car Accidents
A variety of negligent behavior can cause car accidents. In California, the following are some of the most common causes of traffic accidents:
- Distracted driving: In California, car accidents due to distracted driving are the main cause of accidents on the road. When drivers on the road are doing other things instead of focusing on driving, they are putting others at risk and are more likely to create accidents.
- Speeding: Drivers who speed and do not follow the limits are putting others at risk on the roads. When speeding, drivers will have less time to react or slow down if they get into issues while on the roadways. Additionally, car accidents stemming from speeding tend to be more fatal due to the higher velocity of traveling.
- Road rage and reckless driving: Many drivers tend to get highly emotional on the roads, causing quick and negative reactions. This can lead to reckless driving, which puts others at risk. Speeding, changing lanes fast without signaling, and cutting others off can cause accidents ranging in severity.
- Driving while under the influence: This is a serious offense, and those who are driving while under the influence of drugs and alcohol will face serious consequences in California. Drugs or alcohol can cause drivers to lose their cognitive abilities, forcing them to act negligently while on the road. These accidents will likely result in serious injuries and sometimes fatalities.
Your Triumph Is Our Triumph(916) 500-0000
How a Car Accident Lawyer Can Benefit Your Case
After being involved in a car accident, there are many steps to take to ensure your claim is accepted. While recovering from injuries, understanding the legal process to ensure a fair settlement may not be at the front of your mind. With the help of a car accident attorney in Stockton from Triumph Law, you can get all the help you need:
- We thoroughly investigate your claim and gather the necessary evidence so that moving forward, proving fault, and filing your claim is straightforward.
- With over 20 years of experience, we offer the skill and knowledge needed to successfully follow your car accident claim and recover what you are owed.
- No matter what, we are ready to go to trial and fight for a fair decision so that you are in a better spot on the road to recovery.
Proving Fault in a Car Accident
In some car accidents, it may be obvious who caused the accident and who should be held liable. In other situations, fault may be more challenging to prove. To prove negligence in a car accident case, the following elements must be established:
- A duty of care was owed to you while on the road. This duty of care is in place to ensure that all drivers on the road act responsibly and with care to mitigate accidents or injuries.
- The person who is in question for being at fault breached this basic duty of care. This means that the party who is said to have caused the accident acted negligently or carelessly on the roads, disregarding the safety of others. For example, if a driver was on their phone and driving while distracted or speeding when they shouldn’t be, causing an accident, they have breached their duty of care.
- Due to this beach, an accident was caused where injuries and damages were sustained. Ultimately, if the other party involved in an accident was reckless driving or caused an accident, and you were injured as a result, they will likely be held liable.
Contact Us for A Free (916) 500-0000
& Confidential Consultation
Damages You May Be Able to Claim
Generally, in car accidents, there are two main categories of damages that victims can likely recover in an average car accident claim with the assistance of a Stockton car accident attorney. In California, these two main categories are economic damages and noneconomic damages, and in some serious accidents, punitive damages.
Economic damages are all things you have lost in a car accident that are tangible. These can include things with set monetary values. For example, medical bills, hospital visits, ongoing therapy, medication, vehicle damages, and loss of wages are considered economic damages.
On the other hand, non-economic damages are other losses sustained that don’t fall into the first type of damages. Non-economic damages are intangible things with no set monetary value that were lost in a car accident. Some things like pain and suffering, loss of quality of life, emotional distress, or mental anguish can be recovered.
This type of damage isn’t often rewarded and won’t apply to every car accident claim. Both economic and non-economic damages are made to compensate the victim for their losses in everyday accident claims, but punitive damages are set solely to punish the negligent party.
California law states that these types of damages are only justified when the victim can present clear and convincing evidence of gross negligence or malice. In simpler terms, you and your car accident lawyer in Stockton must provide evidence of intentional actions to try and injure you.
Receive the Triumph You (916) 500-0000
Need & Deserve Today
Contact a Stockton Car Accident Lawyer Today
At Triumph Law, we understand many of the challenges you may be facing. We have years of experience helping California residents recover the compensation they deserve. Contact us today to discuss the details of your particular situation at a free consultation.